Summer School 2013
Welcome to the Riverdale Baptist Summer School. It is our desire that this program will help you meet your child's academic needs and meet the standards called for by the regular school year curriculum. We hope this information will answer any questions you may have about our program.
Elementary and middle school students need to enroll for the entire 6-week period. High School students have the option of enrolling for individual semesters or the entire six-week course. Payments are due by June 15, 2013. (A $30 late fee will be assessed after June 15th)
- Six-week course: June 17 - July 26
- Semester 1 June 17-July 5
- Semester 2 July 8-July 26
Classes Offered & Tuition Rates
Pre-Kindergarten & Kindergarten
Math : Grades 1-2; Grades 3-5
English: Grades 1-2; Grades 3-5
Math & Reading $650
English (Remediation of grammar components for grades 6-8.)
Middle school students need to enroll for the entire 6-week period.
Algebra I & II
English (This class will cover remediation of English 9, 10, 11, & 12 and can be used for credit in any one of those grade levels.)
High school students may take any of the above classes for ½ credit or 1 credit.
NEW COURSE THIS YEAR:
Enrichment program for Middle & High School students (Non-credit course)
Keyboarding, Word Processing and Creative Writing
1/2 credit - $325
full credit - $650
Please note: All course offerings will be based on student enrollment.
The daily class period for elementary school students will be 90 minutes for each math or reading class starting at 8:00 & 9:30 a.m. If a child is attending both math and reading then he/she will be attending from 8-11 a.m. For kindergarten students the times for the one hour class will be from 8-9 a.m. or 9-10 a.m. (chosen on the application).
The daily class period for middle and high school students will be from 8:00 AM until 11:45 AM.
Due to the importance of all the instruction time, tardiness and absences are frowned upon. Credit will not be given to a student who has missed more than 2 class periods. Three tardies will be equivalent to one absence. We encourage all students to arrive 5 to 10 minutes early to get prepared for class.
Covering an entire school year's course within a six week period will require the student to complete a great deal of work at home. Approximately 2 to 3 hours of homework from the middle/high school should be expected each day. It would be impossible to properly cover the material without the additional home work/study time.
Students may dress according to the RBS "Dress Down" policy. Shorts will not be allowed.
The regular rules of Riverdale Baptist School will be in effect during the summer.
- Student must ask for permission to get out of his/her seat.
- Students are expected to use proper language at all times.
- Students are expected to be in class on time.
- Students may not chew gum on school property.
- Students are not to bring anything to school except that which is necessary for the class. This includes, but is not limited to, CD players, magazines, gameboys, and tobacco. Drugs and weapons of any kind will not be tolerated.
- Students may bring or purchase a snack for the break, but the food is not to be brought into the classroom.
- Students are not to be on any other parts of the property (including the church building and the "B" wing of the school except when visiting the MP room during the break).
- Failure to follow the rules could result in dismissal from summer school and could jeopardize the student's ability to advance to the next school year.
- Since lunch is not offered, students will need to exit the premises immediately at the conclusion of the class period (11:45 AM).
Any other of the regular RBS rules not specifically stated above are still in effect during the summer school program.
Students must achieve a grade of 68% or higher in order to receive credit for that course.
RBS will supply textbooks as part of the course fee. As long as the book is returned in the same condition in which it was loaned, there will be no additional fee. Lost or damaged books will be assessed a replacement fee ranging from $25 to $50 depending on the book. Books must be returned before final grades will be released.
How to Register
Simply complete the Summer School Registration Form at the registrars office and have it signed by both the principal and guidance counselor.
Please direct any additional inquiries to the summer school coordinator, Ms. Iszard at email@example.com, or 301-249-7000, ext 219 .