Welcome to Riverdale Baptist Summer School, it is our desire that this program will help your child meet or exceed their academic need(s) and the standards called for by the regular school year curriculum*. We hope this information will answer any questions you may have about our program.
* Please note that the RBS is ONLY for credit recovery. The courses offered are not for original credit.
The entire program for middle and high school will be offered from June 8 through July 23, 2020. All classes will be held virtually. Students have the option of enrolling for individual semesters or the entire six-week course. Instruction will be held from 9am – 12 noon, Monday – Thursday.
- 1st Semester: June 8 – June 30 (1/2 credit)
- 2nd Semester: July 6 – July 23 (1/2 credit)
- Full Course: June 8 – July 23 (full credit)
Middle/High School Full Credit: $400
High School Half Credit: $200
A late payment fee of $30 is added if course fees are not paid-in-full prior to May 29th.
Book Replacement Fee: Ranges from $25 to $50, only applicable to lost textbooks.
- 6th grade math
- Algebra 1
- Foreign Language
- English for 6-8th grade
- Bible 6-8th grade
- Science 6-8th grade
- Math – all subjects
- English – all grades
- Bible – all grades
- Science – all subjects
- Social Studies – all grades
- Foreign Language – all grades
Students may take any of the courses for either 1/2 credit or full credit. Please note that course offering is subject to enrollment and may change.
Please direct any additional inquiries to Mr. J. Carroll, the summer school co-ordinator.
Mr. J. Carroll, jcarroll[at]rbschool.org
Students must achieve a grade of 68% or higher in order to receive credit for the course.
Students may dress according to their RBS dress down policy listed in their school’s handbook. Shorts are not allowed.
WHO NEEDS TO ATTEND?
- If a High School student fails a semester (two quarters) in a subject(s), they need to attend one session of summer school.
- If a Middle School student fails two quarters in a subject(s), they must attend one session of summer school.
- If a student fails three or more quarters in a subject(s) they must attend both sessions (all) of summer school but only one subject may be taken.
The daily virtual class period for middle and high school students will begin at 9 am and end at 12 noon, Monday through Thursday. We encourage students to login 5 to 10 minutes before class starts so they can prepare for their day.
Due to the importance of all classroom instruction time, tardiness and absences are frowned upon. Credit will be deducted or removed for any student who has been absent for more than 2 days of class. Three late arrivals will be the equivalent of one absence. Please commit yourselves to arriving early and being focused on the day.
Covering an entire school year’s coursework within a six week period will require the student to complete a great deal of work at home. Two to three hours of work from any class should be expected each day. It is impossible to cover the required information without the assignment and completion of the homework study time.
RBS will supply textbooks as part of the course fee. As long as the book is returned in the same condition in which it was loaned, there will be no additional fee. Lost or damaged books will be assessed a replacement fee ranging from $25 to $50, depending on the text damaged. Books must be returned before the student’s final grade will be issued.
Riverdale Baptist Summer School is a virtual school, therefore some technological requirements are in place. Families are required to have high-speed internet/wifi available for their student to use. RBS will provide a physical device for your student. Pickup and return information will be communicated with the parents. There is a $650 fee for devices that are not returned and a $100-250 fee for damage to RBS devices.
The regular rules of RBS will be in effect during the summer as well.
- Students must ask for permission to get out of his/her seat.
- Studens are expected to use proper language at all times.
- Students are expected to be logged in on-time.
- If it is not needed in-class, don’t bring it (ie: no audio players, game devices, phones, etc.)
- Illicit substances of any kind are strictly prohibited.
- Students may bring or purchase a snack for the class break, however food is not to be consumed in the classroom.
- Students are not to be anywhere on campus except the classroom, RBS Café, and rest room facilities. Wandering campus before, during or after class can result in dismissal from summer school.
- Students are required to exit the campus at the conclusion of the class day. If the student is attending Cool Days Summer Camp also, they must report directly to the camp for checkin.
- Any other regular RBS rules not specifically mentioned are still in effect during summer school.
Failure to follow the rules could result in dismissal from summer school and could jeopardize the student’s ability to advance to the next school year.
SUMMER EDUCATION PARTNER
If your child is unable to attend summer school at RBS or needs a course not offered, they may take classes at Educere:
EDUCERE VIRTUAL EDUCATION for K-12
POC: Ms. Charline Ganthier, EDUCERE Personal Learning Coach
12 East Butler Avenue, Suite 100
Ambler, PA 19002
Phone: 866-4EDUCERE (433-8237) (toll free)
Dates: All courses must be completed by August 4th Final Grades will be due to the business office by August 4th
Credit Recovery Courses are available in all subjects. Prices vary by course.
Register online by clicking here: Educere RBS Class List